Saturday 26 April 2014

A Taste of America

Saturdays are a day for doing something fun. If I ever spend a Saturday completely at home but the evening I feel cheated and a little bit depressed! They're the best day of the week and I love to make the most of them!

We got up pretty late today, it's been a long week and we were both pretty tired. I still managed to have a pretty productive morning though with a load of washing done, the pots done and the kitchen tidied, and me rustling up a pretty tasty batch of cinnamon banana pancakes (the breakfast of champions!) Joe tends to sleep in later than me, so I tend to use my weekend mornings to get all those pesky, annoying tasks out the way before he wakes!

Today we headed up Ecclesall Road for a bit of lunch and a drink or two in the sunshine. Living in the city centre I don't tend to head up Eccy road that much, but it's a lovely street with some really nice restaurants on it.

We chose to eat at Yankee's which, as you can probably guess, is an American style diner serving burgers, barbecue, the best chicken wings and Mexican food. I absolutely love this place, it's full of classic american décor including sports and movie poster, Budweiser signs and more. (Apologies for the lack of photos here, the place was rammed!).

We've eaten at Yankees before and are big fans of the wings, tacos and burgers. But with the new addition of a barbecue section to the menu, we'd be rude not to try it out!
I opted for the pulled pork sandwich, with fries, coleslaw and mac and cheese, while Joe went for barbecue grilled chicken. We were also offered the chance to add wings to our meal for just £2.50 so obviously we agreed!

When the food arrived we were shocked by the sheer quantity of it! It did look fantastic though! We started with the wings which were fried in a crispy batter a drenched in a delicious sweet barbecue sauce. These were pretty rich but the blue cheese dip they were served with cut through the sweetness nicely!


The pulled pork was lovely and tender with a crispy, smokey skin and sweet, juicy meat. Topped with a smokey sauce and served on a sweet brioche bun, the whole sandwich was tasty and incredibly moreish! I do wish they'd served the coleslaw on the sandwich, rather than on the side, but that's just personal preference!


For me it was the mac and cheese that really stole the show. Baked in its own dish, the mac was perfectly soft and the cheese sauce had a lovely spice to it. It was SO cheesy (the kind of dish where when you stick your fork in the cheese goes all stringy and delicious!) and for me this ticked all the boxes!


Overall our lunch was delicious and really reasonably priced. Yankee's is a personal favourite of mine and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for some tasty American food!
Even if you don't stop for a full meal be sure to give the wings a try, as they truly are the best I've ever had!


A wander up the the Mud Crab for a couple of drinks rounded off a pretty chilled Saturday filled with delicious food and good company. Is there really any better way to spend a weekend?   

Apologies for the port quality of photos, I only had my phone and it's rubbish! 

No comments :

Post a Comment